ROUND ROCK, Texas – The Round Rock Express (24-20) won their third straight game, 5-4, over the El Paso Chihuahuas (19-26) in Sunday’s homestand finale at Dell Diamond. The third consecutive win was highlighted by a scoreless bullpen effort and led to the second series split of the season for
ROUND ROCK, Texas – The Round Rock Express (24-20) won their third straight game, 5-4, over the El Paso Chihuahuas (19-26) in Sunday’s homestand finale at Dell Diamond. The third consecutive win was highlighted by a scoreless bullpen effort and led to the second series split of the season for the Express.
Express LHP Cody Bradford (6-1, 0.99) earned the win in his first start back with the club after being optioned by the Texas Rangers. He recorded 5.2 innings and gave up seven hits, four runs, just one of which was earned, one walk and tallied five strikeouts. The loss went to Chihuahuas reliever LHP Jared Koenig (0-1, 10.80), who put in one inning of work, walking one and striking out two. Koenig allowed two runs on three hits and gave up the go-ahead home run to SS Jonathan Ornelas. Round Rock RHP Chase Lee earned his first save of the season with 2.0 shutout innings.
Along the Train Tracks
- After LHP Cody Bradford escaped a bases-loaded jam in the top of the third inning to keep the game scoreless, the Express batters quickly loaded the bases for RF Elier Hernandez, who launched a two-out single up the middle in the home half to put the E-Train up 2-0. LF Josh Sale followed with runners at the corners and singled in 1B Blaine Crim to extend the lead to 3-0.
- A pair of Round Rock errors had runners in scoring position for El Paso in the fourth inning. 3B Jantzen Witte singled them both in but was thrown out trying to advance to second. DH Kevin Plawecki’s first home run of the season then tied the game, 3-3.
- The Express immediately answered back in the bottom of the fourth inning thanks to a two-run home run from SS Jonathan Ornelas that scored DH Jordan Procyshen and gave Round Rock a 5-3 lead.
- El Paso LF Preston Tucker sent a solo shot to right field with one out in the fifth inning to pull the Chihuahuas within one. The visitors put three runners on base during the final three frames but were held scoreless as Round Rock secured the 5-4 win.
- Round Rock SS Jonathan Ornelas hammered his first career Triple-A home run on a 3-1 count in the fourth inning to break the 3-3 tie. The ball went 395 feet and was the 17th home run in May and the sixth fifth-inning home run for the Express this season.
- After earning the win and splitting the series, Round Rock secured second series split this month and extended the home win streak to three games, which ties the season high. The E-Train also improved to 16-3 this season when scoring first.
- With Ornelas’s home run today, Express batters have homered in eight straight games dating back to May 13 against Oklahoma City. Sunday’s game also marked the second straight game that all Express batters have reached base safely after 2B Davis Wendzel drew a walk in the seventh inning.
Next up: Round Rock heads to New Mexico to face the Albuquerque Isotopes in a six-game series at Isotopes Park starting on Tuesday, May 23. Game one’s first pitch is scheduled for 7:35 p.m. CT and both starting pitchers are to be determined.
Single game tickets as well as full season and mini season membership plans are on sale now. For more information about the Express, visit RRExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Subscribe to the E-Train email newsletter and keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!